What is the human rights indicator?
As a tool to fulfill the Gwangju Human Rights Charter much specifically, the human rights indicator is the evidentiary material to measure the level of human rights and to seek the measures to improve it.
The process of human rights indicator development
- To improve substantially the level of human rights in the Gwangju Community by practicing constantly Gwangju Human Rights Charter, Gwangju City developed the 『Human Rights Indicator』for the first time in the world as a provincial city not as a nation.
- To make the human rights indicator over 100 items, the Gwnagju's own human rights promotion system was constructed, and 100 indicators were selected as the indicators to be fulfilled and managed in priority based on the reality of Gwangju from the 500 preliminary indicators taken by the various administrative agencies and research institutes through the opinion gathering from the civil society and experts of each field, citizen hearing and discussion of the research staffs over 40 times examining World Human Rights Declaration, International Human Rights Laws, etc. from December, 2010
- In the process of human rights indicator development, Gwangju City visited the Office of High Commissioner for Human Rights and asked the advice. At that time, UN expressed the great interests praising what the provincial city was developing the human rights indicator not by the nation and promising active assistance of UN.
- In future, the human rights indicators shall be complimented constantly and developed additionally matching with the changes in the human rights environment and the demands of citizens.
The principles composing human rights indicators
Improtance of the human rights indicator
- Promote the human rights administration placing importance on the citizen - the citizen-oriented human rights administration that cares, and makes the citizen happy is required
- Identification of human rights status - Identify the status and actual condition of the human rights/ provide the information for the policy of the human rights
- Guidelines and directives of the human rights policy - Use as the guidelines and directive for human rights administration
- Specific items to be practiced to improve the human rights - Through the identification of the status, seek and promote the customized human rights improvement policy desired by the citizen
- Contribute to the administration as the scienfic system - Promote the linear circulative policy such as establishment of the goal, evaluation, monitoring, etc.
Stauts of the human rights indicator
List of 18 tasks for 5 major areas
|5 major areas||18 tasks|
|The city freely communicating and participating||
|The city realizes the happy life||
|The worm city getting together with disadvantaged||
|Pleasant environment and safe city||
|The city creating culture and joining each other||