Background of Basic Plan Establishment
- Gwangju is the representative city which not only has leaded the peace at Korean peninsula and the democracy of Korea through the may 18 Democratization Movement in 1980 but also has contributed to the improvement of the human rights and the peace of the world sharing universal value of the democracy, human rights and peace with the democratization forces in Asia and the third bloc.
- Particularly, in the fact that the human rights, the concept expanded from the May 18 spirit strengthens the historicity and identity of the Gwangju and becomes the major principle of city administration that improves the citizen's lives substantially, making Gwangju as a human rights city needs to be promoted actively by building comprehensive human rights governance that all the members of the city such as the civil society, local government, etc. participate.
- In this context, realize the direction of 5th city administration elected by popular vote that intends to develop Gwangju as the world human rights city and contribute to the world peace and human rights improvement through the new understanding of the historicity of Gwangju, the spirits of democracy, human rights, and peace of the May 18, and the spirit of Gwangju Community, based on which make Gwangju as a creative city oriented to international culture and advanced science and industries
- Establish the urban development plan linked with the measures to preserve and utilize the historical resources of the may 18 Democratization Movement , which is the driving power of the human rights city, actively in order to realize Gwangju as a human rights city and to maintain that as the identity of the City.
- The analysis on the total competence of Gwangju aimed to become human rights city, that is, the comprehensive human rights circumstances such as the citizens' awareness of the human rights, the human rights administration system of Gwangju City, the organization and activity capability of the civil society, the level of human rights institutionalization of Gwngju City, etc. is needed.
- The ultimate objective of this basic plan is to construct the human rights implementation frame required to characterize Gwangju as the exemplary model human rights city recognized by UN or the world, and to establish the master plan for human rights city, which suggests the core action plans required by each area and the strategy to comply (실천전략) them.
- The basic plan for human rights city promotion should be included the the strategies to embody the the righteous and affluent community by establishing firmly the status of Gwangju as the human rights city and including the humanrights in the citizen's life and the direction to enhance the status of Gwangju in the global era through the brand establishment of Gwnaju as a human rights city.
Environment of the human rights and the evaluation of Gwangju human rights city policy
- The international society including UN is now expanding the spectrum of interests from existing civil and political freedom to the human rights in the living such as social rights, environmental rights, solidarity rights, etc. which means that the improvement and practice of the citizens's awareness of the human rights in the level of region or city are the important tasks UN
- Since the human rights allow viewing the problems to be solved in the region or city unit specifically and explicitly and have the cause and drawing power that allow the civil society and local government to solve in the cooperational aspects, it contributes to enhancing the formation of local community and solidarity, too.
- Now, not only the role of the nation, which is the subject of the obligations in the human rights, but also the role of local government are emphasized, and when saying that the human right protection system is prepared in the city level, the role of local government can be established as substantial subject of obligations.
- The human rights city not only should make improve the living of the socialsecond-class citizen or vulnerable social group but also should make the culture of human rights to recognize and put into practice in the citizens' living by reflecting their perspectives in the urban landscape or the design.
- The human right policy of Gwangju City should be made cultural way linked to various programs in the cultual city building projects of Gwangju, and to do that, the space for citizens' cultural activities should be utilized as a space to learn and educate the human rights culture.
- Since in Gwangju, the right and authority to investigate the human rights violation lies in the prosecution, policy and jurisdiction, the human right committee should be installed at local government, and the amendment of the National Human Rights Commission Act, which allows granting the right to investigate and authority to issue an order to it or the establishment of organization having the function of investigation and relief having same nature like the ombudsman of Montreal is required